Blue Card in Germany

There are several options on what a foreigner’s department in Germany may issue a residence title and the included permission to work. In general, it is based on your main reason for your residency – if it is family, marriage, work or a language course for example. 

One of the best-known residence titles in Germany is the so-called Blue Card. A notion people often have is that this is “the best residence title”, which is a misunderstanding. There is no hierarchy among residence titles. To shed some light into the Blue Card topic and give you an overview, we have collected (and answered) some FAQ. As you will see, there are some advantages the blue card has in store for their holder indeed. 

What is a Blue Card? 

 “Blaue Karte EU” translates as Blue Card EU and is supposed to grant a residential status for high-qualified employees to live and work in Germany. It is issued by the responsible foreigner’s department in Germany, though if your process involves applying for a visa with a working permit at a German mission, it may state that already in the temporary visa you receive. Other EU member states have their own blue cards, but as a national residence title it is valid for the country that issues this residence title only. 

Can I get a Blue Card?  

To check if you qualify for a Blue Card, can in most cases be easily answered with yes or no.

There are three conditions and requirements. Two factors are crucial: Employment and qualification. If you have a contract of employment, your gross annual salary needs to be at least: 55,200 €. This sum adapts every year, so that amount is only valid for 2020.  
If you work in a field that is a shortage occupation, the minimum salary you need to receive to get a Blue Card is: 43,056 €. Shortage occupations are for example IT-engineers, Data Scientists etc. In this case the federal employment agency needs to be involved and must approve the future employment.  

Additionally, you need to be qualified for the job. Either by holding a German degree or a university degree that is accredited in Germany. To check whether your degree is accredited, you can look here In case your degree is not listed, you can possibly get it assessed, but this involves additional costs.  

Last but not least, your degree needs to match the position. Sometimes it needs to be proved by showing your transcript of records or list of courses that you took in university. 

What is the advantage of a Blue Card?  

There are two huge advantages with a blue card. 

You can apply for a “Niederlassungserlaubnis “(permanent settlement permit) after 33 months of employment instead of after 5 years. If you speak German on a B1 level, you may even apply after 21 months of being employed in Germany.  

For families even more important is the rule, that there is no need to proof German language skills prior to arrival. This can be a huge relief in advance of an excited and often a stressful move to any new country.  

I think I qualify, what now? 

You need to be registered in Germany and have a German health insurance, like for any residence title. For some employments, you additionally need an occupation practice permit (for example as a doctor). If you have that, your degree accredited or proof that it is listed in Anabin, all documents translated and prepared you can apply at your responsible foreigner’s department.  

If you are unsure on whether you qualify or need assistance with collecting all necessary proof and filling in forms, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are looking forward to helping.